Role and Organisational Structure
Architectural Services Department (ArchSD) performs three core functions in relation to Government-owned and Government-funded facilities in the following programme areas:
- Monitoring and advisory services - to provide effective professional and technical advice to the Government and quasi-government organisations and to oversee subvented, joint-venture and entrusted projects;
- Facilities upkeep - to provide efficient and cost-effective professional and project management services for the maintenance and refurbishment of buildings and facilities; and
- Facilities development - to provide efficient, cost-effective and timely architectural and associated professional and project management services for the design and construction of buildings and related facilities.
Funding and Mode of Operation
Our Departmental operation is funded by the Capital Works Reserve Fund which is approved, monitored and reviewed by the Legislative Council (LegCo).
In job creation, we have created a total of 9,865 jobs by awarding works contracts and consultancies in relation to both new capital and minor works projects in 2012. We commenced 13 new capital works projects and a substantial amount of minor works projects during the year.
Our role to build and maintain government buildings and facilities involves a considerable amount of investment in terms of financial and human resources. Though it does not easy to quantify the economic value generated, it would improve or enhance the quality of the services and the facilities for the benefit of the public.
In the financial year 2012-13, we recorded an overall increase of around 3.5%  in departmental expenditure as comparing with the previous financial year in 2011-12. Expenditure breakdown of our Department and by different programmes  for the financial year 2012-13 are provided below. Details of our financial information and key performance can be found in the ArchSD Controlling Officer's Report of the 2013-14 Estimates of the Government of the HKSAR, which is available online at www.budget.gov.hk.
 There are three programmes of ArchSD's services: Monitoring and advisory services, Facilities upkeep and Facilities development.
Founded on: 11 April 1986
Staff Establishment: 1,789 (as at 31 March 2013)
Headquarters: Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong
Other Office Location: APB Centre, Hunghom, Kowloon; 17/F and 19/F, 410 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon
Total Office Area: Approximately 25,000 m2 (as at 31 December 2012)
Scale of Services: (from 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2012)
- Number of Subvented / Entrusted Projects Reviewed: 800
- Number of Facilities Development Projects Completed: 41
- Building Floor Area of Properties Maintained: 30,100,000m2
- Government Spending on Facilities Development Projects: HK$ 10,093 million
- Government Spending on Facilities Upkeep Works: HK$ 3,530 million
- Value of New Works under Development: HK$ 85 billion