Architectural Services Department (ArchSD) of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China (the Government of the HKSAR) is always at the forefront in pursuing a better living environment for our citizens. This year, our 17th annual sustainability report, 'Sustaining Innovation in Challenging Times', continues to present our initiatives and performance on economic, environmental and social aspects in 2019.
While demonstrating our achievement in the reporting year, this report also highlights our commitment to serving better in the future with continuous efforts and improvement in sustainability.
The Sustainability Report 2020 ('the Report') highlights ArchSD's key sustainability initiatives and achievement from 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2019. The Report covers the sustainability performance and initiatives of our six functional branches and two Central Management Divisions. Data in the Report are presented as absolute figures as of 31 December 2019 (unless otherwise stated) to the best of our knowledge. Financial data are reported for the financial year ended 31 March 2020. All monetary values are in Hong Kong Dollars.
In July 2020, a new functional branch was established, which will be covered in the next Sustainability Report.
The Report has been prepared in accordance with the GRI Standards: Core option, the Environmental Protection Department's ' A Guide to Environmental Reporting for Controlling Officers' and the Director of Information Services' memo dated 20 October 2016 – 'Guidelines on preparation of annual departmental reports'.
The GRI Content Index correlates GRI disclosures with associated sections in the Report. An independent third party was engaged to assure the materiality, credibility and reliability of the Report and ensure its attainments to the Core option of GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards. We also went through the GRI 'Materiality Disclosures Service' to ensure General Disclosures 102-40 to 102-49 were correctly located and can be easily found by readers.
Notes to Reader
The Report is published online in web-based interactive html version and PDF version. The Report is available in English, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. The interface has been prepared in accordance with the Level AA Conformance to W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 and HTML5. In addition, the Report can also be viewed by tablet computers. Key features of the Report are highlighted as follows:
- On-screen font size setting provides more comfortable reading options for various users;
- Picture enlargement function presents larger and clear photo images, graphics and charts to readers;
- Search function facilitates readers to locate any specific interested sections or information efficiently;
- VR 360-degree panoramic photos enables readers to explore our projects virtually;
- Dark mode display function creates a more comfortable reading experience for users;
- 'My Report' function enables readers to temporarily store any selected section(s) for consolidation and printing;
- 'Data Summary' section furnishes readers with a quick review of our performance on various key indicators; and
- 'Glossary' section provides definitions of the technical terms using in or relevant to the Report.